Friday, December 14, 2007

Walk Tall

Here's another one from my House Advantage (Fake) Book.

When I set out to buy my first jazz record I was guided by a source I considered to be impeccable - Playboy magazine. Back in the 60's their yearly Jazz poll was essential advice to the would-be hipster. Cannonball Adderley was the perennial winner in the alto sax slot, so I considered him a safe bet for my three and a half dollars.

I probably picked his 74 Miles Away - Walk Tall album because of the cover photo, with its double image of Cannon in a helicopter. "That's out there!", as he might say. The record is heavily in the gospel-blues soul-jazz vein, and really appealed to me right away.

Joe Zawinul's "Walk Tall" is in one of the fake books, of course, but that version is too sketchy to use. I've written it out here the way I hear it - with the bass line, the 2-part alto/trumpet harmonies, the circle of fifth major triad progression, etc. I've included some of the piano fills, as well.

Download

No comments: