Thursday, December 27, 2007

Las Cuevas de Mario

I've never bought the Art Pepper LP "Smack Up", but I did manage to find the 45 somewhere. I've always rather liked the flip side of the record, "Las Cuevas de Mario". The song is a blues in 5/4 time, the title refering to a friend and drug supplier known by Art back in the day. He talks about Mario Cuevas in his book "Straight Life".

Like "Take Five", "Las Cuevas" features an odd meter, a simple repetitious riff in the piano and a catchy melody on alto sax. Because it was released the year after Brubeck's "Time Out" album, I assume that's no coincidence, and that the song was indeed patterned on "Take Five".

"Las Cuevas" was recorded twice by Art, the first time with Jack Sheldon on trumpet. That's the version I'm posting here. It's from my "House Advantage (Fake) Book".

Download

1 comment:

Saterik said...

Thanks for finding and posting this.I did not know of the connection to Take Five. I don't which other version you were referring to, but there are two great extended versions from the Live at the Village Vanguard recordings from the mid 60's. George Cables on piano is great also - his favorite pianist I believe. My favorite music to run to!